1 pound boneless lamb leg meat , finely shredded
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh basil leaves, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Saffron Pilaf, recipe below
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Combine the lamb, garlic, basil, oil, salt and pepper in a bowl.
Mix well and divide into 4 equal parts.
Heat a big, heavy non-stick frying pan to just below smoking.
Add 1 portion of lamb and press down into the pan as it cooks so that the meat forms a cake Sear 1 minute, until brown.
Carefully turn with a spatula and sear on the other side.
Remove and drain on a clean kitchen towel.
Repeat with the other 3 portions.
Place the lamb cakes on four plates and serve with saffron pilaf.
3 tablespoons olive oil
12 saffron threads
1 large yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
1 medium bay leaf
2 cardamom seeds, hulled and crushed
1 1/2 cups basmati rice
2 cups hot chicken stock
1 cup dry white wine
Freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 375 Fahrenheit.
Heat the oil over medium heat in a large, heavy oven-ready saucepan.
Add the saffron and sauté for 1 minute, stirring constantly, as the saffron cooks, it will color the oil light yellow.
Add the onion, garlic, bay leaf, cardamom and clove to the pan and sauté for 2 additional minutes, stirring constantly.
Add the rice, stock and wine; bring to a boil.
Cover and place in the oven to cook for about 15 to 17 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed.
Remove from the oven and keep warm.
Nutrition information per serving:
Shredded lamb and basil — Calories: 250, Fat:
12 grams, Cholesterol: 100 mg, Sodium:
345 mg, Carbohydrates: 1 gram, Protein: 32 grams
Saffron pilaf — Calories: 405, Fat: 12 grams,
Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 790 mg,
Carbohydrates: 65 grams, Protein 9 grams
- Pocket-sized quick-read thermometer that’s great for measuring temp in thin cuts of meat, fish or poultry
- 5-inch stainless steel stem can get a reading in 6-8 seconds; stainless steel housing surrounding the digital readout
- Large-digit readout, data-hold capabilities, 10-minute auto-off, plastic sheath with pen clip
- Temperature range of -40 to 450 degrees F (-40 to 230 degrees C)
- Powered by LR44 button battery (included); backed by 5-year limited warranty