1 Cup. vegetable oil
1 1/2 C. flour
2 Cups. chopped onions
1 Cup. chopped celery
1 Cup. chopped bell pepper
1/4 Cup. minced garlic
1/2 lb. sliced Andouille sausage
1 lb. claw crabmeat
3 quarts shellfish stock
2 Cups. sliced green onions
1/2 Cup. parsley
Salt, to taste
Cayenne pepper, to taste
1 lb. (35 count) shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 lb. jumbo lump crabmeat
2 dozen shucked oysters, liquid reserved
Cooked rice, for serving
In a two-gallon stock pot, heat oil over medium high heat.
When oil is hot, add flour and using a wire whisk, stir constantly until brown roux is achieved.
Do not allow to scorch.
If black specks appear in roux, discard and begin again.
When roux is golden brown, add onions, celery, bell pepper and garlic.
Sauté approximately 3 to 5 minutes, or until vegetables are wilted.
Add andouille, blend well into vegetable mixture and sauté additional 2 to 3 minutes.
Add claw crabmeat and stir into roux to add seafood flavor to the mixture.
Slowly add hot shellfish stock, a cup at a time, stirring constantly until all added.
Bring to a low boil, reduce to simmer and cook approximately 30 minutes.
Add additional stock if necessary to retain volume.
Add green onions and parsley and season to taste using salt and cayenne pepper.
Fold shrimp, lump crabmeat, oysters and reserved liquid into soup.
Return to a low boil and cook approximately 5 minutes.
Adjust seasonings and serve over cooked rice.
- Pocket-sized quick-read thermometer that’s great for measuring temp in thin cuts of meat, fish or poultry
- 5-inch stainless steel stem can get a reading in 6-8 seconds; stainless steel housing surrounding the digital readout
- Large-digit readout, data-hold capabilities, 10-minute auto-off, plastic sheath with pen clip
- Temperature range of -40 to 450 degrees F (-40 to 230 degrees C)
- Powered by LR44 button battery (included); backed by 5-year limited warranty