Lesser Known Cuts of beef
Beef Short Ribs
- Comfort food: rich, deep flavor that customers crave
- Require long, slow cooking time to tenderize, resulting in moist, tender, full-flavored
- Braising with wine, vegetables, seasonings and stock enhances taste and tenderness
Beef Flanken/Korean-Style Ribs
- Kalbi, or
Korean-style/“flanken-style”, short ribs are a 3-rib section cut across the rib bones in ¼ to ½-inch thick slices
- Thinner than Beef Short Ribs
- Makes a great appetizer
- Often marinated in a classic Korean-style marinade of soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, green
onions, sugar and chilli pepper
- Gas grill with porcelain-enameled cast-iron cooking grates and 3 stainless-steel burners
- 637-square-inch cooking/warming space, plus side burner and Sear Station burner
- Front-mounted control panel; individual electronic ignition system; Flavorizer bars
- Enclosed cart; built-in thermometer; 6 tool hooks; requires an LP tank (not included)
- Measures 30 inches long by 60 inches wide by 64-1/2 inches high; 10 year limited warranty. Assembly required
Beef Rib Preparation Ideas
Big Beef Ribs
Smoke, grill and glaze with a spiced chipotle chile baste.
Western Beef Back Ribs
Slow-cook, baste with Kansas City-style BBQ sauce.
Thai-Style Beef Short Ribs
Prepare with soy sauce, white wine vinegar, fresh ginger, onion, garlic and sesame oil.
Latin-Style Beef Short Ribs
Braise in beef demi-glace, red wine, bay leaves, rosemary and fiery chipotle chilies and grill.
Beer-Braised Short Ribs
Rub with chili powder and garlic, then sear over a wood fire and braise in a rich beer and veal stock until moist and tender.
Curried Beef Short Ribs
Braise in a rich curry sauce, garnish with toasted almonds and serve with curry condiments.
Indonesian Beef Satay
Marinate skewered beef in curry powder, turmeric, dark brown sugar, fish sauce and unsweetened coconut milk; grill and serve with satay sauce.
Beef Short Ribs Adobo with Spinach
Simmer beef (bones attached) with vinegar, water, soy sauce, garlic, shallots, black pepper, salt and bay leaves. Remove beef, reduce sauce and sear beef in skillet. Pour reduced sauce over beef; serve with spinach and steamed rice.
Lemongrass Barbecued Beef
Marinate beef in lemon grass, shallots, garlic, serrano
Szechuan Braised Beef Noodles with Baby Bok Choy
Quickly marinate beef in sugar, soy sauce, dry sherry, cornstarch and sesame oil (reserve marinade). Stir-fry in peanut oil with hot bean sauce, garlic, fresh ginger and green onions; add reserved marinade, sugar, soy sauce, chicken stock and water; simmer. Place beef in bowl with Chinese egg noodles, beef, carrots and bok choy.
Miso Barbecue Beef Short Ribs with Ginger-Teriyaki Sauce
Marinate ribs in miso, mirin, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar and sesame oil; grill until seared. Serve with Ginger-Teriyaki sauce over noodles or rice.
Ginger-Orange Barbecued Beef Back Ribs
Marinate ribs in lemon, orange juice, fresh ginger, garlic, hoisin sauce, honey, salt and soy sauce (reserve marinade). Roast ribs, glazing with reserved marinade,
General Info on kabobs/skewers
- Shish Kabobs are of Turkish origin, Satay are Indonesian, Brochettes are French, Sosoties are South African, Sekuwas are Nepalese, Pinchos are Argentinean
- Consider the shape of your cut and the varied cooking times for different ingredients
- Skewer ingredients separately or group them together by cooking time
- Use metal skewers (easy to use and clean), bamboo skewers (widely available, must be
soaked) or natural materials such as lemongrass and slivers of sugar cane
- To prevent food from randomly rotating, use two skewers
- Satay-style skewers cook very quickly: 1 to 2 minutes per side
Beef on a Stick Preparation Ideas
Cheese Steak Spiedini
Skewer pieces of tender steak with sweet bell peppers and crusty bread cubes, grill and top with melted mozzarella and tomato-basil bruschetta salsa.
Steak and Potato Tempura
Dip skewered strips of tender steak in a light tempura batter, then wrap battered portion of beef with potato strands. Fry until potatoes are crisp and golden brown; serve with a spicy Asian mayo.
Sugarcane Steak Sticks
Thread strips of Cuban-style lime-cumin mojo Flat Iron Steak (marinated in olive oil, lime juice, cumin, garlic, salt and pepper) onto sugarcane skewers; grill and serve with a tangy sweet-onion chimichurri salsa.
Singapore-Style Steak Satay
Marinate steak in lime, honey and coconut milk. Thread onto lemongrass skewers, grill and serve with tamarind peanut sauce with a cucumber and cilantro salad.
Tequilla Lime Ranch Kabobs
Marinate cubes of Ranch Steak in a combination of tequila, lime juice, oil, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper Thread onto skewers with chunks of nopalitos (cactus), onions, mushrooms and bell pepper. Grill to medium rare.
Asian Sticky Skewers
Grill skewers of marinated steak and brush with Southeast Asian-style sticky sauce.
Tapas Steak Skewers
Skewer slices of steak marinated in olive oil, garlic and lime. Grill and serve with roasted peppers and onions accompanied by a cumin aioli.
Beef for Stews and Soups
- Diced Beef shall be prepared from any portion of the carcass which yields product that meets the end-item requirements, excluding shank and heel meat
- Free of bones, cartilage, heavy connective tissue and lymph glands
- Unless otherwise specified, at least 75% (or 85% for beef for stewing), by weight, of the
resulting dices must be ¾ inch to 1½ inch cubes; no individual surface shall be more than 2½inches in length
- Surface and/or seam fat shall not exceed ½ inch thickness
- Beef for Stewing provides the basis for a multitude of home-style entrées such as stews, chilis, pot pie, stroganoff, and pasta toppings, or it can be ladled over noodles, rice or dumplings
- Cut your own beef for stews and soups Beef Foreshank or Beef Chuck
Beef for Stew and Soup Preparation Ideas
Braise beef in dry red wine, bacon, shallots and bouquet garni and garnish with mushrooms and small onions.
Stew beef with onion, beer and bacon, then top with a slice of mustard-flavored toasted bread.
Slowly simmer beef with curry powder, soy sauce, garlic, onion, carrot and celery.
Beef soup with beets, cabbage and typically garnished with sour cream.
Beef Barley Soup
A rich beef soup with barley, carrots and mushrooms.
Chunky Beef Chili
Brown beef chunks and braise with onions, garlic, tomatoes, fresh and dried chilies; serve with assorted chili toppers such as sour cream, minced green onions and shredded cheese.
Cajun Beef Stew
Blend tender beef, vegetables and Cajun spices and serve over hot rice.
Beef Pub Pie
Slow-cook and serve in a traditional flaky pastry shell.
Steak Soup Grantinée
A twist on the classic French Onion Soup which combines flavorful chunks of beef, caramelized onions and beef broth, finished with a crouton of French bread and Gruyère cheese.
Beef Goulash Stew
A Hungarian classic of sweet spices and served with homemade croutons and sour cream.
Beef for Stir-Fry
Flank Steak-Rib Cap
Beef Thai Fry with
Marinate and stir-fry steak strips with vegetables, chow mein
Mongolian Hot Pot
Thinly slice steak, marinate and stir-fry with vegetables and serve over warm noodles.
Thinly slice steak and stir-fry with asparagus and red peppers and serve over fresh cabbage.
Mexican Flank Steak
Grill spicy marinated flank steak and toss with stir-fried peppers and onions, and serve on a bed of romaine lettuce.
Teriyaki Beef Stir-Fry
Stir-fry teriyaki-marinated steak strips with Japanese soba noodles, red bell peppers, snow peas, straw mushrooms and peanuts.
Sesame Beef and
Stir-fry steak strips and broccoli, serve over a bed of jasmine rice topped with savory garlic stir-fry sauce.
Serve strips of tender stir-fried steak over colorful mango-basil fried rice finished with a sweet-hot Korean-style Kalbi barbecue sauce.